Monday, April 13, 2009

And we're off....

So today I woke up with a huge amount of love, admiration and huge and deeply profound respect for my fellow gay! Who would have thought at 21 I would want to be an activist!? But I want to be one, and I want to be one NOW! I am a person who like to have their fingers in all the pies, I am currently holding positions as the following with great respect for each position.




  1. Cork Pride 2009 - Public Relations Office/Secretary.

  2. GCN - Cork Columnist (begins with May Edition).

  3. http://www.gaycork.com/ appointed blogger for weekly social events as of April.

  4. The Cork "link" for LGBT Noise in our strive to legalise marriage for all, without it being sexual orientation based!

  5. Southern Gay Mens Health Outreach Volunteer.

  6. And hopefully after sending an email today will also be involved in MarriagEquality, Ireland!

  7. I also have a full time job and a part time job....just for good measure!


With the above positions I hold great respect! I would like to see some "revolution" of sorts happen now more than ever in Ireland. In 1993 homosexuality was decriminalised which means we could be gay without getting a fine/beating/arrested or prison!



Now 16yrs on we are still stuck back in 1993, yeah sure maybe some of the prejudice is gone, as is the stigma mostly, but the progression is still not moving forward! We have been stagnant for 16yrs and now we need to make a mark of remembrance.



We need to be able to say, yes if I die tomorrow I will know my child is going to be allowed to live with my partner, whether it be man or woman! But currently Civil Partnerships is what's on offer which, yes it does sound appealing but it doesn't cover the main issues! I want to have a tax break, yes, I want to be able to visit my loved one in hospital, yes!



BUT...if my loved one should pass away in that hospital I want to know that my 6/7 year old son and 3/4year old daughter are going to continue to live with their living father in a manner in which they know and love. Rather than having my dead husbands parents having more rights over them than their living father!!


THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE!!

AND I WANT CHANGE NOW!!



Please help me and the hundreds of thousands like me in Ireland who want to have the chance to have a family be legally allowed!



VISIT HERE TO HELP: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/gay-ireland



1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you found a passion and a really great one at that. Ireland is lucky to have you. It is people like with your mentality and drive that can produce a great deal of needed change in this world. Keep fighting the good fight and I look forward to the updates.
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete