Tuesday, April 21, 2009

After an eventful weekend.....

Righteo, Tuesday 21st April '09. What a great weekend I am after having. Seriously! And by weekend I mean Sunday and Monday (mainly Sunday actually, lol). Sunday I woke up on the dot 10:20am and realised the train was in ten minutes. I obviously missed it and only had 3.5hrs to get to Dublin for the Civil Marriage protest that was being held outside Central Bank at 2pm. I rang my mother hoping she would drive me to the airport where I think I would make it right on time and she offered to drive me to Dublin (257km away). I wasn't so sure we'd make it as it was 11.30am by the time we left and it normally takes us about 3.5hrs to get there which means I wouldn't have gotten there 'til 2.30pm. BUT....my mother is amazing and we arrived at the protest after parking. etc...at 2pm (thank you new Cork to Dublin Motorway).

Anyway in the car I realised just how liberal my mother was. She asked about the protest and how it would affect me and what changes we wanted as a society and things to that effect. About religious leadership and the grassroots of religious movements Tony Blair and his stance and his understanding of the Bible. She really had her eyes open, as did I as she was genuinely interested in these topics. She was never one to be all coy and embarrassed by me being gay but she always held a dislike for the lifestyle I was born with-like alot of other mothers who don't want their child to be on the cusp of society, the "easy target" as it were. Anyway while at the protest some very influential figures spoke, amoung them Michael Barron, Rory O'Neill a.k.a "Panti", and a few LGBT Noise members and MarriagEquality members.

Basically the turnout was estimated by some papers to be around 800 people and I am proud to say, my mother, two of my bestfriends and I were amoung the crowd. I also met alot of the GCN team there (as I now write the Cork Column for GCN). Anyway I am and always will be very moved by that day. I then randomly went drag shopping with my mother who I thought would flip, but didn't. Infact took it upon herself to tell me what wigs/eyelashes etc...suited my face shape!! I guess you never REALLY know how anyone is going to react until you just COME OUT and say what it is that you really want to say!

Eventful weekend. Many more to come I hope!

GAY RIGHTS = EQUAL RIGHTS
Also going to be putting up a new post soon about the issue of meeting your TD/Local Councillor as they depend on you and your families/friends votes and should be willing to support the locals if it wishes to represent the locals!!

1 comment:

  1. That is so great! Glad to hear that the protest went well!
    So what kind of wig did you end up buying?

    ReplyDelete